We’ve been keeping it a secret for so long that I really don’t know where to start. I’m just hoping that by finally sharing the news that it will start to feel more real to me. That I may actually start allowing myself to believe that this is finally really happening. I have no reason to believe that it isn’t but its hard to be confident when our last two pregnancies ended in miscarriages. (I may share more on that at another time.)
How far along am I? I’m 17 weeks today. Baby W is due late November. Just in time for Christmas.
Why’d we wait so long to share? After having two early miscarriages last fall we wanted to wait until we heard the heartbeat and were out of the first trimester to share. Then at our 12 week appointment with our OBGYN we decide to have Harmony testing done. Since we didn’t know what caused our previous miscarriages we wanted to know what our risk of chromosomal issues were. By the time those results came back as “low risk”, we had gotten so used to not telling, that we didn’t feel in a rush to tell anyone. It was as if we had kept it a secret this long, what was another few more days or a week? So, here we are. Finally sharing.
Since, I’m already well into my second trimester it feels like I have so much to share with you. Don’t worry, I’ve been keeping notes. I’m going to catch you all up on how things have been and to give regular “bumpdates”. I’ve always enjoyed reading those kinds of posts, even long before I was ready to think about having my own baby, so I hope you’ll enjoy reading them here as well.
Well its been another hot minute since I sat down to write. Not because I haven’t thought about it, but because I just couldn’t seem to actually get myself to do it. There was some writers block. A lot of comparing myself to other bloggers. A little frustration that I wasn’t really gaining the traction I had hoped (so the best way to solve that is to stop, right? haha). And honestly I’ve been really affected by the terrible weather we’ve been having around here. I know it seemed to take forever for Spring to start everywhere. But, its been rainy, overcast, bitter cold and super windy around here for months. AND we had snow twice, TWICE, in the past two weeks.
So, I can sit back and wait for the stars to align and give me great weather to motivate me, or I can just give myself a shake and get back at this thing. So here we are. Lets catch up.
– Skeeter has been losing soooo much fur lately. Jeff tells me its normal and that he’s just losing his “winter coat”. But no matter the reason, its been nearly impossible to keep up with the fur all over our dark floors. Sweeping just sends the fur flying, and while Swiffer was quite effective I would go through two or three just to get all our living room, dining room and hall clean. Plus, I’m not a fan of having to Swiffer and then sweep my floors to get all of the dirt. So, I decided to buy a vacuum. I already own one, but its never been awesome. I didn’t need anything heavy duty, and I wanted something small, lightweight and versatile. Also, since Jeff isn’t convinced a vacuum will be effective, the less pricey the better. The Bissell Featherweight for $30 fit the bill. It arrived yesterday and I used it immediately. So far, I’m happy with it.
PS. You know you’re an adult when you’re excited about a vacuum.
– I’ve spent the past few weeks Lobster fishing with my Dad. Its not something I ever expected to have the opportunity to do, so I jumped at the chance as soon as my Dad mentioned it. Waking up at 4am wasn’t fun, and I certainly never got used to the cold. But I loved the experience. I enjoy learning new things, so it was great to learn more about lobster fishing, the fishing industry in general, and my family’s business. But, I think the best part was getting to spend all of that time with my Dad.
– I’m not sure how many times I made the three hour drive between Corner Brook and Port Saunders since the lobster fishing season opened. Its not the longest drive ever. But, it can be a bit boring. There’s no cell service for a majority of the drive, so after the first few trips I was tired of the music I had downloaded. For the last trip a friend suggested I get an audiobook. I was skeptical, but I downloaded Audible on my phone and used my free credit to “buy” Adrift. And I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the story was great. But, it was also an excellent way to pass the time. The only downside was that I didn’t finish the whole book in one drive, so I had to wait for the drive back to finish it, and the whole time in between I was desperate to know what happened. Travelling is the only way I’d be able to listen to a book, otherwise I’d be too distracted by other things and I wouldn’t hear what was being read.
– We have our wood stove lit today. For the fourth day in a row. It was lit a few days last week as well. Summer, where are you?
– One of my favourite places to eat when I lived in Grande Prairie was Earls. Back then I was a fan of spending hot Summer days on their patio indulging in good food and beer. These days, the chilly weather makes me crave their delicious Jeera Chicken Curry. I recently discovered that they released a cook book full of their recipes, so today I caved and ordered it from Chapters with the hopes that the recipe for their wonderful spicy dish will be in it.
– I met friends for coffee at Harbour Grounds the past two days. Both times we attempted to sit outside on the patio and both times we were too cold and ended up moving inside. Here’s to hoping patio days are just around the corner.
– I’m patiently waiting for sandal weather, but in the meantime I’ve been living in these super cute New Balance Classic 515s. I grabbed mine at Winners, but I’ve found a few similar pairs on Amazon here, here, here and here.
Cheers to being back. And sticking around this time. I hope you’ll stick around too.
Partially because its my birthday week! I turned 31 (I’m really 30 and holding) on Wednesday.
My parents flew home from Florida on Tuesday, so they stayed in town for the night so that we could have a big family dinner to celebrate me being another year older. It was great to get together with everyone, (I enjoyed being the center of attention for a night) but the food wasn’t as great as we had hoped (especially not considering what it cost), so I won’t share the name of the restaurant we ate at.
On Wednesday Jeff invited all of our friends over for pizza and ice cream cake. It was far from wild, but I had a great time. I have awesome friends who really know how to make a girl feel special.
I don’t think that I’ve made a single purchase this entire week. But its been hard. The struggle is real friends.
Skeeter is losing his puppy teeth and his breath is soooo bad. He’s also been been on a seek and destroy mission with all of his toys. I keep having to sew them up, because if I threw them out he wouldn’t have a single one left. There’s no way we could afford to keep replacing them at the rate that he makes the stuffing fly out of them.
For one last birthday hurrah we’re going bowling tonight with friends. I’m really looking forward to it. I enjoy bowling, even though I’m terrible at it, and its been at least a year since we’ve went.
I was so used to my favourite shows being on hiatus during the Olympics that I forgot that they came back this week. Jeff is working nights this weekend, so I will likely use the alone time to catch up on my shows, paint my nails and try out the GLAMGLOW masks I bought from Sephora.
I’m basically a newbie blogger again and its been quite a while since I shared a bunch of information about myself. So, in honor of my 31st birthday I’ve decided to celebrate the day that is all about me by sharing 31 things you might not already know about yours truly.
Okay, now that you’re done dying over my cuteness. Lets get this party started! Please, try to contain your excitement.
1. I’m a full face of make up every single day kind of girl.
2. I’ll pick beer over any other “drink”. But I like a gin and tonic in the summer. And occasionally I’ll gulp sip some reisling.
3. I’m a university drop out. I moved across the country for the summer after my freshman year and stayed for five years. Then, I moved home and went to school part time while I continued my career. I am now a college graduate.
4. I got married at 29. We got engaged 9.5ish months after we started dating and had our big day a year later. Yep! First date to wedding in less than two years!
5. I bought my first home at 21. It was a cute little condo and I loved it. Now, I live on the other side of the country. So, if you’re looking to buy a place in Grande Prairie, AB. Give me a shout, I’ll hook you up.
6. I’m not a fan of housework. At all.
7. I’m obsessed with home decor, design, renos & real estate. I’d love to flip houses & own a bunch of properties.
8. I spend way too much time on my phone & iPad. Large Pinterest fan right here.
9. I sing in the car, but not in the shower.
10 I have the weakest stomach. All of the gross things make me want to legit vomit.
11. I have a slight obsession with cute stationary. Those sections in Winners and Chapters get me every single time.
12. I prefer baths over showers.
13. I’m a tv addict and a book worm. I love having a good story to lose myself in.
14. I typically only listen to music when I’m driving.
15. I don’t drink coffee or tea. Not because I’m trying to be healthy, but because I thin they taste disgusting. However, I LOVE caramel macchiatos. Strange, I know.
16. I’m the furthest thing from a morning person. Staying up late is more my thing.
17. The only language I can speak is English, but I really wish I could speak French.
18. I have a bad case of wanderlust and wish I could travel more often.
19. I love thunderstorms.
20. I’m a bit of a social media junkie. You should follow me on Instagram and Facebook.
21. I can’t lay down without a blanket. Couch or bed, winter or summer, I’m always covered up.
22. I almost always find it colder than everyone else. I’m the kind of girl who hates AC.
23. I prefer Pepsi over Coke.
24. I’ve never “done drugs”.
25. I have a bit of an issue with procrastination. I’m working on it.
26. I prefer writing in notebooks over apps. But, Evernote is my go to when paper isn’t an option.
27. I struggle with blogger envy. And it causes writers block.
28. I’m a country and city gal. I love the the hustle & bustle of the city, but the quiet and pace of a smaller town. I love cute clothes, shoes and make up. I also like snowmobiling and camping.
29. I love fresh flowers. I’d have them in the house all of the time if I could afford it.
30. I’m a shopaholic.
31. Even though we have Skeeter, I’m still not a dog person. So basically, the only dog I like, is mine.
There you have it folks. 31 things you probably weren’t dying to know about me.
That list was long so if you stuck around until the end, thank you!
I’d really like to get into a Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule. I had intended to start that this week, but the week somehow just got away from me.
Jeff has had really bad influenza since last Saturday. I’m not used to having him home all day, every day, and its really thrown me off. I often find it easier to write, take photos and create content when he isn’t around.
Jeff and I have been living in our house together for nearly three years, but every room in the house is only partially finished decor wise. I’ve been trying to work on that lately. First order of business, our bedroom. The bed frame/headboard we have is going on 10 years old and starting to show it’s age. I’m really loving this headboard from Wayfair. I think it would be a good place to start in making our room look more mature and put together.
My Sephora order arrived a few days ago. I haven’t even opened most of the products, but I’ve been trying out the It Cosmetics concealer. Its too soon to review it, but I’m not sure I love it. Is it really so much to ask that a concealer actually hide the darkness under my eyes? Am I expecting too much?
Beverly and I have a shoot scheduled tomorrow. Not surprisingly I don’t have clothing and locations 100% nailed down yet.
I’ve been holding off placing a Sephora order since the beginning of the year. I wanted to wait until February because BIRTHDAY MONTH and I wanted to snag my birthday gift without having to place a second order. I decided to branch out with my purchases this time, I picked up one tried and true product, and everything else are brand new products or brands for me. I’m really excited to try out some things from It Cosmetics and GLAMGLOW.
Speaking of GLAMGLOW, I scored this POUTMUD wet lip balm treatment for just $10 at Winners last night. Jeff is working nightshift tonight so I’ll probably have a little at home spa night and try it out. I also have an Origins Original Skin mask that I want to try. Stay tuned to instastories, things likely won’t be pretty around here haha.
I’m a bit of a shopaholic and since I quit my job you know I’ve had lots of free time to fill my carts online. It has taken every ounce of my self control not to empty my bank account. I have my eye on these flats from Sole Society, these jeans from Madewell, and a dozen or more other items that I won’t bore you with right now. I’m basically holding out for really good sales. You know, the “it was too good to pass up” kind of deals.
Jeff works a lot so I’ve been trying to spend some of this new found free time picking up the slack around home. Housework is not my forte so it really hasn’t been an easy transition for me. Some days I do better than others. Today for instance I’ve done three loads of laundry already. I’ve also been trying to spend some of that free time in the kitchen. I’ve cooked more meals in the past month and a half than I think I did in 6 months last year. Not only do I like to make sure that Jeff comes home to a cooked meal more evenings than not, I’m really liking honing my skills. With that said the list of things I know how to make is short, so if you have any suggestions, please send them my way.
My friend Beverly of BOW Photography has graciously signed on to take some photos for this little space on the web. We’re working on some fun things, so you’ll be seeing lots of her pictures around here in the next few weeks.
Janine, one of my favourite bloggers has recently relaunched her blog. You should check her out!
Its taken me nearly a month and a half to recover from 2017. I know most people have their goals for the year ahead figured out by December or early January, but I really needed to take that time to reflect and decide what I really want the next year of my life (and beyond) to look like.
Get A New Job
I quit my job a few weeks ago. It wasn’t an easy decision and there are a lot of reasons for it. But long story short, it just wasn’t the right place for me anymore. Hunting for a new job stresses me out a little, but at the same time I’m excited about what the future holds.
Take Better Care of Me
The past year and a half were hard and I really neglected myself, both physically and mentally. I started this year with taking steps to turn that around, and I want to continue that.
Get Into a Blogging Routine
I really enjoy blogging. But I’ve neglected this little space of mine for quite sometime. I fell out of it. I never seemed to have the time to dedicate to it. I couldn’t find the right things to say. I didn’t seem to be connecting with the community. And I didn’t have a lot of support IRL. But now I have the time, a supportive husband, and I’ve connected with a few fellow bloggers (Hey there Janine!), and I’m more motivated than ever to really get into this.
See and Do More
This one is kind of broad, but I just want to start living my life more. Spend less time doing nothing. I want to travel more, even if that doesn’t mean leaving the province. I want to spend more time with friends. Have more fun.
To kick things off Beverly and I just booked a weekend at Ome for this summer. I can’t wait to see what a little slice of our island has to offer.
Push Myself Out Of My Comfort Zone
This has always been something I have struggled with. I very easily get comfortable with what I am doing and then will not go out of my comfort zone. Its why I stayed at my last job so long. Its why I find it difficult to go to yoga or the gym alone. Its why I wear almost the exact same make up everyday. And its why I won’t wear a lot of clothes even though I love them.
I’m working on all of these things, and I’m working on pushing myself outside my comfort zone in the kitchen as well.
Read 20 Books
I love to read. Seriously. I do. I could read all day, and all night and only stop for pee breaks and brief naps. But I hardly read a single book the past few years. For some reason I find it difficult to allow myself to have the time to lose myself in a book.
It’s been a hot minute since I checked in around here.
Life has been crazy. There have been a lot of ups and downs. Really high highs and terribly low lows.
The lows have sucked every ounce of inspiration out of me. But I’m trying very hard to get that back.
I got things started by changing a few things up. Like switching from Blogger to WordPress. Which was fairly simple, but I’m still working a few kinks out. I considered not posting until everything was fixed and perfect. But who knows when that will happen. So I’m just jumping back on the posting train.
Lets catch up a little shall we?
Eating – Mint Girl Guide cookies. They’re one of my favourite things about fall.
Drinking – A large glass of Cave Spring Riesling.
Watching – I’m finally giving Grace & Frankie a try and I’m really liking it so far.
Reading – I just bought All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda. I typically don’t go for this type of book, but this kind of story is exactly the type of tv show or movie that I enjoy. So I’m looking forward to finding out if that interest carries over.
Loving – That most of my favourite shows are back. Here’s looking at you Grey’s Anatomy, Chicago Fire, How to Get Away with Murder. And I’m seriously loving Law & Order: True Crime.
Wanting to buy –This Gap dress. I just wish it was a different material. I really prefer something less sheer and a little thicker material when the weather gets cooler.
Doing – For the past few weeks I’ve been refinishing a few pieces of furniture in my living/dining room. I’ve been sharing a few updates on Snapchat and Insta Stories.
I feel like I haven’t been able to catch my balance all week. We’ve begun renovations on our basement, our entire house is covered in gyproc dust and cleaning has been futile, we’ve had company stay with us the past few nights, and at work I’ve been pulled in 100 different directions and feeling like I haven’t accomplished much. So, instead of a “What to Buy During the Sephora VIB Sale” post (VIBs get 15% off with the code VIBSPRING), here’s a bunch of random thoughts that have crossed my mind lately. You’re welcome.
One from our honeymoon (Gulfport, Florida)
– The Tim Horton’s Drive Thru; When you order chili, why must they put the little butters in the bag with it? Its always melted when I get home.
– I read all the pregnancy posts. You would think that these things would not interest me, because I am in no way wanting to procreate any time soon. But nope, I love the bumpdates, the nursery posts, and the must have lists. Perhaps they’re preparing me for the future, but mostly I’m just educating myself on what to buy for baby showers.
– Why is writing Thank You cards so hard? I’m the worst bride ever. 7 months later, and they’re still not all out. Do not be like me. Be better than me.
– I really need to start using my slow cooker. It would help with my #goals.
– How does everyone get those nice shots from above them? I’m seriously asking. All I get is a whole lot of selfie arm.
– Why does weight loss need to be so hard? And why does it take so damn long?
– I had to go buy more hangers at Walmart again. Who knew we had so much clothes? I guess we’ve never hit Laundry Zero before. I’m such a good housewife.
– Why must Netflix create shows that are so addicting that you basically get sucked into a black hole? Here’s looking at you 13 Reasons Why.
– Why must this province have a Shop Closing Act? Seriously, it makes being productive on long weekends very difficult. I mean, everything was closed Friday and Sunday this past weekend,it makes doing a basement renovation during our days off a challenge.
– Why is my husband so resistant to doing a reclaimed lumber wall in our basement? I thought reclaimed lumber was the dream of all rugged men.
– How can I get paid to vacation? Because our honeymoon was freaking awesome.
Okay, so I’ll definitely be ordering my favourite foundation during the sale. But, that’s probably all, because budget. What’s on your mind lately?